By Andrew Chernoff
October 3, 2016
Vancouver (1-2-2=4 pts) battled division rival Arizona Coyotes (4–1–1 =9 pts) in their only meeting in preseason play tonight at Rogers Arena, losing 4-2.
The Canucks entered the game having lost their last two games, and three of their four preseason games and were looking to win their first game of their three game home stand, and second home game of the preseason.
It was not to be.
Vancouver received goals from Markus Granlund (1) and Ben Hutton (1), with helpers from Alex Edler (4) and Anton Rodin (3).
But it was not enough.
Jacob Markstrom played the entire game for the Canucks, stopping 33 of 37 shots.
Vancouver never led in the game, behind 2-1 after one, down 4-2 after two periods, with no scoring in the final period.
Arizona outshot the Canucks 37-32 in the game, with the Canucks outhitting the Coyotes 21-16.
The Coyotes had 17 blocked shots to Vancouver’s 1 blocked shot.
Canucks special teams were not so special tonight, as the Vancouver penalty kill was its preseason worst at 2 for 5 with 9 shots against, and the power play 1 for 4 with 7 shots for.
- Vancouver defensemen Ben Hutton and Nikita Tryamkin led the Canucks in shots with 5 and 4 each respectively, followed by Markus Granlund with 4 shots; Jack Sille, Emerson Etem, and Sven Baertschi had 3 shots each.
- Tryamkin also had 5 hits in the game to lead all Canucks. Emerson Etem and Joseph LaBate had 3 hits each.
- In the face-off circle, Vancouver was led by Michael Chaput 6-9; Brandon Sutter 9-15; Bo Horvat 7-19; Tuomo Ruutu 5-14.
- The Canucks had 14 players with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) in the game led by Troy Stecher, +18; Markus Granlund +17; Anton Rodin, Alex Edler and Brandon Sutter, all with +11.
- Vancouver had 12 players with a positive Corsi For (5-on-5), led by Troy Stecher +10; Alex Edler +9; Anton Rodin, Jacob Markstrom, Jack Skille and Joseph LaBate, each with +6.
- For the game, Vancouver finished with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) of +61, Arizona +49. Corsi For (5-on-5), Vancouver was +42, Arizona +36.
Next Game: October 6, 2016 at Rogers Arena against Calgary Flames 7 p.m. PST