Miller Gets Shutout, Eriksson Scores Twice To Lead Canucks
By Andrew Chernoff
October 6, 2016
Vancouver (2-2-2=6 pts) battled division rival Calgary Flames (3–4–0 =6 pts) in their second and final meeting in preseason play tonight at Rogers Arena, winning 4-0.
The Canucks entered the game having lost their last three games (0-2-1), and three of their four preseason games and were looking to win the final game of their three game home stand; previous two won by San Jose and Arizona.
Vancouver won just their second game of the preseason, evening the preseason series against the Flames at a win apiece.
The Canucks scored their fourth opening game goal of the preseason as Brandon Sutter (1), scored on a shorthanded effort; and Loui Ericksson, in his first preseason game, had his first two goals as a Canuck.
The other Vancouver goal came from Jake Virtanen (1).
Assists came from Alex Edler (5), Chris Tanev (1), Markus Granlund (2), Sven Baertschi (1), Philip Larsen (1), Daniel Sedin (1) and Henrik Sedin (1).
Ryan Miller played the entire game for the Canucks, stopping all 35 shots in his first shutout of the preseason.
Vancouver led in the game, 2-o after one, were up 3-0 after two periods.
Calgary outshot the Canucks 35-26 in the game, with the Canucks outhit by the Flames 22-19.
The Vancouver penalty kill was 3 for 3, with a shorthanded goal and 6 shots against; the power play was 0 for 2 with 3 shots for.
Anton Rodin had his game points streak come to an end at four games (2-3=5) as he picked up no points.
- Loui Ericksson and Bo Horvat led the Canucks in shots with 3 apiece.
- Bo Horvat led all Canucks with 3 hits.
- Luca Sbisa had 3 blocked shots and Chris Tanev 2.
- Alex Edler has 5 assists in preseason play, with the helper he picked up tonight.
- In the face-off circle, Vancouver was led by Markus Granlund 7-16; Brandon Sutter 3-8; Bo Horvat 8-14; Henrik Sedin 7-14. Vancouver was 25 for 46: 46 percent in the game.
- The Canucks had 4 players with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) in the game led by Sven Baertschi, +5; Markus Granlund +5; Ben Hutton +2; Jake Virtanen +1.
- Vancouver had 2 players with a positive Corsi For (5-on-5): Jake Virtanen and Erik Gudbranson at +1 each.
- For the game, Vancouver finished with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) of +41, Calgary +62. Corsi For (5-on-5), Vancouver was +31, Calgary +54.
Next Game: October 8, 2016 at Rogers Place in Edmonton at 6 p.m. PST