By Andrew Chernoff
October 15, 2016
Vancouver (1-0-0=2 pts) hosted Calgary (0–2–1 =1 pts) in their season/home opener at Rogers Arena, defeating their division rivals in a 2-1 shootout, handing the Flames their third consecutive loss of the season.
Vancouver made it three consecutive season opening wins, all against the Flames, going back to 2014.
Tonight was the third game in four nights for the Flames, while the Canucks had last played on October 8 in their last preseason game.
In the opening period, Loui Ericksson scored into his own net, on a delayed penalty to Calgary, making it 1-0 for the Flames. Goal credited to Troy Brouwer (2), unassisted at 9:14, and that is the way the period ended.
Second period was scoreless.
Then in the last period, the Canucks top line of the Sedins and Loui Ericksson had an unbelievable, pressure packed shift against the Flames, that resulted in the game being tied at 1-1, on a goal by Daniel Sedin (1), assisted by Loui Ericksson (1) and Henrik Sedin (1) at 16:09.
The game would end with both teams tied at 1-1 in regulation, forcing overtime.
Vancouver would get a late power play with 1:24 left, as Jannik Hansen drew a penalty when he went in on Flames goalie Chad Johnson, but the Canucks would be unable to score before time ran out, resulting in the game being settled in a shootout.
Brandon Sutter would score the eventual winner, handing his team a 2-1 shootout victory and there first win of the season.
Canucks starting goalie Ryan Miller backstopped the win, stopping 25 of 25 shots in the game.
Vancouver was behind, 1-0 after one; again trailing 1-0 after two; with the game being tied 1-1 after regulation and overtime.
Vancouver outshot the Flames 31-25 in the game, with Vancouver outhit by the Flames 15-11.
The Vancouver penalty kill was 2 for 2, with 4 shots against; the power play was 0 for 3 with 8 shots for, 1 shot against.
Next Game: Oct 16, 2016 Carolina visits Vancouver at Rogers Arena at 7 p.m. PST
Canucks Post Game Notes
Regular-season Game 1, Home Game 1
Final Score 1 2 3 OT SO F
Flames 1 0 0 0 0-4 1
Canucks 0 0 1 0 1-4 2
Calgary: 0-3-0 (Road: 0-2-0)
Vancouver: 1-0-0 (Home: 1-0-0)
Quick Stats: SF SA PP PK PIM CF CA SCF SCA HITS
Calgary 25 31 0-2 3-3 10 45(31) 73(48) 13 16 15
Vancouver 31 25 0-3 2-2 6 73(48) 45(31) 16 13 11
5v5 stats in parenthesis for CF & CA
- Total: 31-61: 51 percent
- defensive zone: 10-17: 59 percent
- offensive zone: 13-25: 52 percent
- neutral zone: 8-19: 42 percent
- Horvat was 6-17; H.Sedin, 11-18; Sutter, 7-14; Granlund, 5-10.
- Daniel Sedin led the Canucks with 6 shots; Brandon Sutter, Alex Edler and Philip Larsen had 3 shots each.
- Alex Edler had 6 shot attempts blocked; Philip Larsen and Luca Sbisa, had 4 and 3 shot attempts blocked .
- Luca Sbisa led the Canucks in hits with 3; Derek Dorsett had 2 hits.
- Alex Edler had 4 blocked shots.
- Vancouver had 11 blocked shots and just 7-giveaways in the game.
- The Canucks had 16 players with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) in the game led by Henrik Sedin +22; Philip Larsen +21; Daniel Sedin +18; Loui Ericksson +17; ; Sven Baertschi +12; Chris Tanev +10.
- Vancouver had 16 players with a positive Corsi For (5-on-5): Henrik Sedin, Philip Larsen, Chris Tanev at +9 each; Sven Baertschi and Alex Edler at +8 each; Loui Ericksson, Derek Dorsett, Luca Sbisa, and Alex Burrows +6 each.