Sutter Wins It…Again!!!!
By Andrew Chernoff
October 16, 2016
Vancouver (2-0-0=4 pts) played their second of back-to-back home games to start the season, taking on Carolina (0-0-2=2 pts) at Rogers Arena, defeating the Hurricanes 4-3 in overtime on a goal by Brandon Sutter.
Canucks remain undefeated, sweeping the weekend games, to start the season.
Brandon Sutter, with two points (1-1=2) and the winning overtime goal; Markus Granlund, with two points (1-1=2), including a goal; goals from Bo Horvat, and Ben Hutton, pulled it out of the fire, as they scored four unanswered goals for the victory. Assists went to Derek Dorsett, Brendan Gaunce and Jannik Hansen.
In the first period, Victor Rask (2) opened up the scoring for the outplayed Hurricanes, assisted by Lee Sempniak (2) to make it 1-0, at 17:36.
Carolina would close out the opening period, by scoring a power play goal with 50 seconds left by Teuvo Teravainen (1), from Justin Faulk (2) and Sebastian Aho (2) at 19:10, making it 2-0 over the Canucks after one period.
In the second, Carolina would make it 3-0 soon after Vancouver killed off a Hurricanes power play, when Justin Faulk (1) scored, assisted by Joakim Nordstrom (1), at 5:28.
Vancouver would make it 3-1 at 12:03, two seconds after a Canucks power play ended, as Bo Horvat (1) would put it past former Canuck Eddie Lack, assisted by Markus Granlund (1).
Then in the last period, the Canucks line of the Sutter-Granlund-Hansen would score an early goal on a Carolina giveaway, as Markus Granlund would bury it past Eddie Lack on a pass for Brandon Sutter, at 1:11, assisted by Sutter (1) and Jannik Hansen (1), to make it 3-2.
Ben Hutton (1) would make it three unanswered goals by Vancouver to even the score at 3-3 at 14:10, assisted by Derek Dorsett (1) and Brendan Gaunce (1).
The game would end with both teams tied at 3-3 in regulation, forcing overtime.
He had the shootout winner Saturday night against the Flames, and Brandon Sutter would score the overtime winner for the Canucks, thirty-two seconds into the extra session, storming back from a 3-0 deficit, to win 4-3 in OT.
Brandon Sutter (2), unassisted, at 0:32 of overtime.
Canucks starting goalie Jacob Markstrom insured the win, stopping 19 of 22 shots in the game, for his first win of the season.
Vancouver was behind, 2-0 after one; trailed 3-1 after two; with the game being tied 3-3 after regulation.
Vancouver outshot Carolina 31-22 in the game.
The Vancouver penalty kill was 1 for 2, with 5 shots against; the power play was 0 for 2, with 2 shots for, and 3 shots against.
Next Game: Oct 18, 2016: Canucks host St. Louis at Rogers Arena @7 p.m. PST
Canucks Post Game Notes
Regular Season Game 2, Home Game 2
Final Score 1 2 3 OT SO F
Carolina 2 1 0 0 – 3
Canucks 0 1 2 1 – 4
Carolina: 0-0-2 (Road: 0-0-2)
Vancouver: 2-0-0 (Home: 2-0-0)
Quick Stats: SF SA PP PK PIM CF CA SCF SCA HITS
Carolina 17 17 1-2 2-2 4 43(31) 50(44) 10 21 24
Vancouver 31 22 0-2 1-2 4 50(44) 43(31) 21 10 16
5v5 stats in parenthesis for CF & CA
- Total: 28-58: 48 percent
- defensive zone: 5-15: 33 percent
- offensive zone: 15-24: 63 percent
- neutral zone: 8-19: 42 percent
- Horvat was 5-17; H.Sedin, 9-17; Sutter, 12-18; Gaunce, 2-6.
- Jacob Markstrom is now undefeated in four career starts vs. Carolina (3-0-1).
- The win was the Canucks 7th Straight win against the Carolina Hurricanes.
- Vancouver scratches for second straight game: (9) Jack Skille – (55) Alex Biega – (88) Nikita Tryamkin.
- Canucks are 10-6-6 with Brandon Sutter in the Vancouver lineup.
- Jannik Hansen led the Canucks with 5 shots; Erik Gudbranson had 4 shots; Brandon Sutter, Derek Dorsett and Ben Hutton had 3 shots each.
- Derek Dorsett led all Canucks with 5 hits.
- Sven Baertschi had 3 giveaways; Jake Virtanen, 3 takeaways.
- Alex Edler had 6 shot attempts blocked; Philip Larsen and Luca Sbisa, had 4 and 3 shot attempts blocked .
- Alex Edler had 5 blocked shots.
- Vancouver had 15-blocked shots; 10-giveaways; 10-takeaways, in the game.
- The Canucks had 12 players with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) in the game led by Ben Hutton +14; Jannik Hansen and Markus Granlund +8; Brandon Sutter +7; Daniel Sedin +5.
- Vancouver had 15 players with a positive Corsi For (5-on-5): Ben Hutton, +12; Jannik Hansen, Erik Gudbranson at +9 each; Markus Granlund +8; Brandon Sutter +7; Luca Sbisa +6.