By Andrew Chernoff
October 20, 2016
Vancouver (4-0-0=8 pts) played their last home game of their four game homestand to start the season, taking on the Buffalo Sabres (1-2-1=3 pts) at Rogers Arena tonight, remaining undefeated to start the season, defeating the Sabres 2-1 in regulation play.
It was Vancouver’s first regulation victory of the season.
The Canucks have won four games from the start of a season, for the second time in their history. Last time Canucks started a season with four consecutive wins was the 1992-93 season.
Brandon Sutter (0-2=2) had a two point game; Jannik Hansen (1) scored his first goal of the season, with Daniel Sedin (2) netting the winner. Other assists were picked up by Luca Sbisa (1) and Loui Ericksson (2).
The Canucks failed to score in the first period for their fourth consecutive games. Other than the Tampa Bay Lightning, Canucks are the only other team to have yet to score a goal in the opening period this season.
In the second, Jannik Hansen (1), with his 100th goal of his career, gave the Canucks a lead for the first time this season, with the first goal of the game, assisted by Brandon Sutter (2) and Luca Sbisa (1), to make it 1-0 Vancouver, at 11:10.
In the third, Daniel Sedin potted the Canucks first power play goal of the season, to make it 2-0 Vancouver, assisted by Loui Ericksson (2) and Brandon Sutter (3), at 9:10.
Buffalo would get on the score sheet, when Nicholas Baptiste (1) would be credited with a goal that went in off Alex Edler, unassisted, at 11:23.
Canucks starting goalie Jacob Markstrom, stopped 26 of 27 shots in the game, for his second consecutive win of the season. Markstrom has a 1.65 GAA, and a .932 SV%.
- Game was tied, 0-0 after one; ahead 1-0 after two. Canucks win 2-1 after regulation.
- Vancouver outshot by Buffalo 27-20 in the game.
- The Vancouver penalty kill was 5 for 5, with 3 shots against, 1 shot for; the power play was 1 for 5, with 3 shots for, and 0 shots against.
Next Game: Oct 22, 2016: Canucks at Kings at Staples Center @7 p.m. PST
Canucks Post Game Notes
Regular Season Game 4, Home Game 4
Final Score 1 2 3 OT SO F
Buf 0 0 1 – – 1
Van 0 1 1 – – 2
Buf: 1-2-1 (Road: 1-1-1)
Van: 4-0-0 (Home: 4-0-0)
Stats: SF SA PP PK PIM CF CA SCF SCA HITS
Buf 27 20 0-2 1-1 10 50(39) 37(25) 17 11 27
Van 20 27 1-5 5-5 10 37(25) 50(39) 11 17 13
5v5 stats in parenthesis for CF & CA
- Total: 30-63: 48 percent
- defensive zone:10-25: 40 percent
- offensive zone: 13-24: 54 percent
- neutral zone: 7-14: 50 percent
- Horvat was 8-20; H.Sedin, 8-14; Sutter, 8-19; Gaunce, 4-8.
- With tonight’s win, the Canucks have won 8 straight games when allowing three or less goals, going back to last season.
- With tonight’s win, the Canucks are 4-7 in their last 11 games playing on 1 days rest and 6-0 in their last 6 home games, going back to last season.
- Canucks entered the game with all their goals in the first three games being scored at even strength with four in third periods, two in overtimes and only one in second periods, and absolutely none in first periods.
- Jacob Markstrom is now undefeated in three consecutive season starts.
- Brandon Sutter led the Canucks with 4 shots; Daniel Sedin had 3 shots.
- Derek Dorsett and Ben Hutton led all Canucks with 3 hits.
- Ben Hutton had 3 giveaways.
- Alex Edler had 2 shot attempts blocked .
- Alex Edler had 3 blocked shots.
- Vancouver had 12-blocked shots; 7-giveaways; 2-takeaways, 9-shot attemps blocked and 8-missed shots, in the game.
- The Canucks had 6 players with a positive Corsi For (All Situations) in the game led by Brandon Sutter and Markus Granlund with +8; Jannik Hansen and Philip Larsen were +3.
- Vancouver had 4 players with a positive Corsi For (5-on-5): Markus Granlund +7; Brandon Sutter and Jannik Hansen were +4 each.