Welcome to the “NHL Brief,” a daily collection of the latest news and notes from around the League.
Home Team in Caps
Edmonton 3, WINNIPEG 0
NY ISLANDERS 6, Minnesota 3
NY RANGERS 3, Arizona 2
ANAHEIM 4, Vancouver 2
TALBOT LEADS OILERS PAST JETS IN HERITAGE CLASSIC
Cam Talbot stopped all 31 shots he faced to lead the Oilers past the Jets in front of a sellout crowd of 33,240 at the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at Investors Group Field in Winnipeg.
* The Oilers improved to 5-1-0 this season to move into first place in the NHL’s overall standings. Via Elias, Edmonton has won five of its first six games of a season for the first time since 1985-86, when the club also started 5-1-0.
* Talbot recorded the third shutout in the NHL’s 19 regular-season outdoor games to date. The others: by Calgary’s Miikka Kiprusoff in the 2011 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium (39 SV vs. MTL) and Anaheim’s Jonas Hiller in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series at Dodger Stadium (36 SV at LAK).
Road teams improved to 14-4-1 in the NHL’s 19 regular-season outdoor games to date, including a 9-3-0 record since the start of the 2013-14 season.
HERITAGE CLASSIC QUICK HITS
* The Jets became the 22nd team to participate in a regular-season outdoor NHL game. The Oilers appeared in their second such contest after hosting the first regular-season outdoor game in League history, the 2003 Molson Canadian NHL Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium (4-3 L vs. MTL).
* Oilers captain Connor McDavid registered one assist, raising his totals to 4-5—9 in six games this season. That is tied for the League lead with San Jose’s Brent Burns (3-6—9 in 6 GP) and Boston’s Brad Marchand (3-6—9 in 5 GP).
* Oilers forward Mark Letestu scored the second shorthanded goal in NHL outdoor game history (19 GP). The other: by Flames defenseman Anton Babchuk in the 2011 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic at McMahon Stadium.
Captain John Tavares registered 2-1—3 to power the Islanders to their third victory in their past four games . . . Defenseman Dan Girardi broke a 2-2 tie early in the third period – his first goal since Nov. 12, 2015 (60 GP) – to lead the Rangers to their sixth consecutive win against the Coyotes (dating to March 24, 2014) . . . Forward Nick Ritchie notched the tiebreaking goal midway through the final frame to lift the Ducks to a victory in their home opener . . . Wild forward Zach Parise scored twice to eclipse the 300-goal milestone . . . ICYMI: Hockey Hall of Famers Wayne Gretzky and Dale Hawerchuk dropped the ceremonial opening puck prior to the 2016 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic.