By Andrew Chernoff
November 17, 2016
Game Time: 7:00 PM PST
Location: Rogers Arena
TV: Sportsnet Vancouver
Radio: TSN 1040
Vancouver (6-10-1=13 pts) play the third game of their 4 game homestand tonight at Rogers Arena against Pacific division rivals, Arizona Coyotes (5-9-1=11 pts).
It’s the first of five meetings this season; the Coyotes return to Rogers Arena on Jan. 4 while the Canucks visit Arizona on Nov. 23, Jan. 26 and Apr. 6.
In the Canucks last game, Vancouver was clobbered 7-2 by the New York Rangers on Tuesday night, a week after the Canucks defeated them in New York 5-3.
Canucks defenseman Luca Sbisa had a two point game (0-2=2 pts); Vancouver had goals from Brandon Sutter (3), and Markus Granlund (5), with assists going to Daniel Sedin (5) and Derek Dorsett (3), in the losing effort.
Henrik Sedin extended his points streak to 6 games (3-3=6 pts / 6 Games).
Canucks starting goalie Jacob Markstrom, stopped 18 of 25 shots in the game.
Vancouver is 5-4-0 at home this season.
The Canucks will be trying to get back on the winning track, against the Coyotes, who are currently last in the Pacific division, 3 points behind Vancouver, with three games in hand.
Canucks In Brief:
Canucks, are tied for 27th place in the NHL (with Calgary and New York Islanders); and are tied for 5th place in the Pacific division with Calgary, with 13 points; 6 points behind the Oilers and Ducks, 3 points ahead of the Coyotes, who have three games in hand on Vancouver.
Vancouver’s goaltender tandem of Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom are 25th in the NHL, with a 3.13 GAA and a .886 SV%.
Jacob Markstrom is 28th in the NHL with a 2.82 GAA; Ryan Miller is 29th with a 2.92 GAA (min. 5 games played)
Jacob Markstrom is 31st in the NHL with a .892 save percentage; Ryan Miller is tied for t-28th with a .899 save percentage (min. 5 games played)
Leading scorers: Henrik Sedin (5-5=10 pts), Daniel Sedin (5-5=10 pts), Bo Horvat (5-4=9 pts), Brandon Sutter (3-6=9 pts), Markus Granlund (5-2=7 pts), Loui Eriksson (2-4=6 pts), Jannik Hansen (2-4=6 pts), Sven Baertschi (1-4=5 pts), Alex Burrows (2-2=4 pts), Derek Dorsett (1-3=4 pts), Philip Larsen (0-4=4 pts)
Scratches: #63-Larsen; #55-Alex Biega; #46-Jayson Megna
Canucks injured: #9-Tanev; #17-Anton Rodin; #36-Jannik Hansen;
Points streaks: Daniel Sedin (3-3=6 pts / 6 Games); Markus Granlund (2-1-3 / 2 Games); Brandon Sutter (2-1-3 / 2 Games
Vancouver special teams are: 5 for 53: 9.4 percent on the power play overall (29th in the NHL), with 61 shots for, 16 shots against, 1 shorthanded goal against; and 8 for 49: 83.7 percent on the penalty kill overall (11th best in NHL), with 47 shots against, 13 shots for, 1 shorthanded goal for.
Canucks have allowed 54 goals against (26th in NHL), and have scored 34 goals (28th in NHL).
- Daniel Sedin is on a 6-game active point streak (Nov. 5/16 – present: 3-3-6); he had points in five or more consecutive games on two
separate occasions in 2015.16 (7 games: Nov. 14 – Nov. 27; 5 games: Feb. 13 – Feb. 21).
- After 17 games this season, Vancouver has been held to two goals or fewer in 12 of 17 games
- Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Bo Horvat and Markus Granlund share the team lead in goals (5)
- Troy Stecher’s 22:35 TOI in his NHL debut on Oct. 25 vs OTT was second most for a defenceman making his NHL debut this season; Nikita Zaitsev (TOR) played 23:57 on Oct. 12 vs OTT
- The Canucks have the 17th fewest penalties in the NHL with 70, and have the 4th most penalty minutes of any team with 212
- Daniel Sedin’s 49 shots on goal currently rank t-18th in the NHL
- Alex Edler ranks 4th in the NHL in blocked shots with 41
- Edler also leads the team and ranks 14th in the NHL with 24:42 TOI per game; last season, he led the team in ice time with 24:37
TOI/game and led the team in that category in 48 games, including 26 games where he led all skaters in TOI.
- Troy Stecher ranks 4th in rookie TOI/game with 20:36
- Nikita Tryamkin ranks t-7th in the NHL in hits per game (3.6)
- Henrik Sedin ranks t-15th in the NHL for shooting percentage at 22.7% (min. 10 games played)
- Brandon Sutter is t-12th in the NHL with 165 faceoff wins; Henrik Sedin is 22nd with 145 faceoff wins
- The Canucks rank 5th with 536 total faceoff wins and are 3rd with 435 even-strength faceoff wins
- Vancouver’s penalty kill ranks 11th at 83.7%
- The Canucks are 7th for the fewest shots allowed per game at 27.9
- Vancouver ranks t-7th in faceoff win percentage at 50.8%; in 2015.16, the Canucks’ 45.4% faceoff win percentage ranked 30th
Coyotes In Brief:
Arizona in their last game, lost to the Calgary Flames in overtime 2-1 at Scotiabank Saddledome on Wednesday.
Tobias Rieder scored for the Coyotes (5-9-1), and Mike Smith made 22 saves in his first game since Oct. 18 after missing 12 because of a lower-body injury.
Arizona has lost four of its past five games (1-3-1).
Coyotes have 11 points are in last place in the NHL; in 7th place in the Pacific division 2 points behind Vancouver.
Arizona has the 28th best goaltending in the NHL, with Louis Domingue, Mike Smith and Justin Peters, with a 3.37 GAA, and .896 SV%.
Domingue is 4-8-0, with a 3.42 GAA, and a .899 SV%. Smith is 1-0-1, with a 2.81 GAA, and a .905 SV%. Peters is 0-1-0, with a 3.16 GAA, and a ..900 SV%.
Arizona leading scorers: Radim Vrbata (6-5=11 pts); Max Domi (1-10=11 pts); Jordan Martinook (5-4=9 pts); Oliver Ekman-Larsson (5-3=8 pts); Brad Richardson (4-4=8 pts); Tobias Rieder (4-3=7 pts); Jamie McGinn(3-3=6 pts); Alex Goligoski (0-6=6 pts)
Coyotes injured: none
Points streaks: none
Arizona special teams are: 5 for 45: 11.1 percent on the power play overall (25th in the NHL); and 11 for 46: 76.1 percent on the penalty kill overall (28th in the NHL).
Coyotes have surrendered 51 goals (25th best in NHL), and have scored 38 goals (t-23 in NHL).
- Radim Vrbata (3-4-7), Jordan Martinook (5-2-7) and Max Domi (1-6-7) lead the team in road scoring this season.
- Brad Richardson leads the NHL with 3 short-handed points.
- Martin Hanzal’s 60.2 FO% ranks tied for 4th in the NHL.
- Ryan White’s 46 hits rank tied for 7th among NHL forwards.
- ARI is 1 of 2 teams to have at least 4 rookies score their 1st career NHL goal this season.
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson is tied for the 3rd-most goals among NHL defensemen.
- Luke Schenn’s 42 hits are tied for 9th among NHL defensemen.
- ARI has had 6 rookies record a point this season which is the 2nd-highest total in the NHL.
VS ARIZONA NOTES:
- Derek Dorsett made his NHL debut on Oct. 11/08 versus the Coyotes.
- Brendan Gaunce scored his first NHL goal in his second career NHL game on Oct. 30/15 versus Arizona.
- In 10 games played versus Arizona, Ryan Miller has posted a record of 9-1-0 along with a 1.58 GAA and .948 save percentage.
- In 3 games played versus Arizona, Jacob Markstrom has posted a record of 2-1-0 along with a 1.99 GAA and a .933 save percentage.
- Luca Sbisa’s first goal occurred on Dec. 28/10 at Arizona; his latest goal occured on Mar. 9/16 versus the Coyotes.
- Henrik Sedin has 47 points (11-36-47) in 59 career games versus Arizona.
- Daniel Sedin has 45 points (13-32-45) in 59 career games versus the Coyotes.
- Loui Eriksson has 35 points (16-19-35) in 45 career games versus Arizona.
Regular Season Game 18, Home Game 10
Ari: 5-9-1 (Road: 2-6-1)
Van: 6-10-1 (Home: 5-4-0)
Team SF SA PP PK PIM HITS GF GA
Ari 418 491 5-45 11-46 144 371 38 51
Van 489 474 5-53 8-49 212 336 34 54
Team CF CA SCF SCA CF60% CA60% CF%
Ari 800(630) 940(748) 282(220) 387(302) 53.51 63.43 45.76
Van 848(727) 832(694) 368(277) 380(306) 54.15 51.68 51.16
Note: 5v5 stats in parenthesis for CF & CA, SCF & SCA , CF60%, CA60% & CF% are 5v5
SCF=scoring chances for; SCA=scoring chances against.
Potential Canucks Lineup: