By Andrew Chernoff
December 10, 2016
Game Time: 4:00 PM PST
Location: BB&T Center
Radio: TSN 1040
Vancouver (12-13-2=26 pts) play the third game of a 5 game road trip tonight at BB&T Center against Eastern conference rivals, Florida Panters (12-12-4=28 pts).
Markstrom To Start, Demko Recalled
Jacob Markstrom will start in goal for the Canucks, while Thatcher Demko has been recalled from the Utica Comets to replace Ryan Miller, who is still suffering from a lower body injury, suffered against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Ryan Miller was not on the ice as the Saturday morning skate began. Panthers practice goalie Bobby Segin filled in.
Hansen Returns Sunday
According to the Canucks, Jannik Hansen practiced this morning and feels good, he’s preparing to play Sunday in Washington.
The Panthers are 2-3-3 in their last 8 games overall; and 4-3-0 in their last 7 games at BB&T Center.
The Canucks are 3-3-0 in their last 6 road games; 5-3-1 in their last 9 games overall.
The Panthers and Canucks are playing their first of two meetings this season and their only meeting at BB&T Center. The Panthers visit Vancouver on January 20 to close out the season series.
After tonight, Canucks play: Washington, Dec 11; and, Carolina, Dec 13; before returning to Vancouver for 6 of the 8 remaining games in December, at Rogers Arena.
Vancouver is 1-1-0 on the trip so far.
In the Canucks last game, Jack Skille and Jayson Megna each scored two goals to power Vancouver to a 5-1 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning at Amalie Arena on Thursday.
Erik Gudbranson also scored a goal for the Canucks. Ryan Miller made 38 saves before leaving with 6:02 remaining in the third period. He was replaced by Jacob Markstrom, who made two saves.
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins said Miller left with a lower-body injury.
Canucks In Brief:
Canucks, continue to be in 6th place in the Pacific division; 5 points in front of Arizona; 6 points behind 3rd place Calgary.
Record By Five Game Segment
Game Segment 1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25 26-30
W-L-T 4-0-1 0-5-0 1-4-0 3-1-1 3-2-0 1-1-0
Goals For/GP 2.6 0.8 2.2 3.4 2.2 3.5
Goals Against/GP 2.0 3.4 3.4 3.6 2.6 2.0
PP% 13.0 0.0 7.7 23.1 23.1 16.7
PK% 86.7 77.8 95.0 75.0 91.7 80.0
Vancouver’s goaltender tandem of Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom are 24th in the NHL, with a 2.84 GAA and a .904 SV%:
- Jacob Markstrom is 6-4-2, with a 2.73 GAA (24th), and a .900 Sv% (32nd)* * At least 12 GP
- Ryan Miller is 6-9-0, with a 2.63 GAA (20th), and a .916 Sv% (16th)*
- Daniel Sedin (8-10=18 pts)
- Henrik Sedin (7-10=17 pts)
- Bo Horvat (8-8=16 pts)
- Brandon Sutter (6-8=14 pts)
- Loui Eriksson (6-5=11 pts)
- Sven Baertschi (4-7=11 pts)
- Markus Granlund (5-5=10 pts)
- Alex Burrows (4-6=10 pts)
Scratches: #62-LaBate; #29-Andrey Pedan
- Anton Rodin; 27 games missed
- Chris Tanev; 17 games missed
- Jannik Hansen; 15 games missed
- Derek Dorsett; 9 games missed
- Alex Edler; 3 games missed
- Philip Larsen; 1 game missed
Total Man Games Lost: 116
- DANIEL SEDIN (2-2=4 pts / 3 Games)
Vancouver special teams are:
- 11 for 78: 14.1 percent on the power play overall (t-25th in the NHL)
- 11 for 73: 84.9 percent on the penalty kill overall (t-7th best in NHL)
Canucks have allowed 78 goals against (23rd in NHL), and have scored 62 goals (27th in NHL).
Through Dec. 8:
- Through 27 games, Bo Horvat currently shares the team lead in goals (8) and ranks third in points (16). He recently posted a fivegame point streak (3-4-7) from Nov. 19-29. He has registered 46 points in 71 games during the calendar year.
- Nikita Tryamkin ranks t-27th in the NHL in hits per game (3.0). This also ranks him 5th among rookies.
- Troy Stecher ranks 4th in rookie TOI/game with 21:03.
- Bo Horvat is 19th in the NHL with 243 face-off wins; Brandon Sutter is 20th in the NHL with 242 face-off wins.
- Bo Horvat won 24 face-offs on Dec. 3 vs TOR. According to Elias Sports Bureau, this matches the single-game high in the NHL this season. Only two other Canucks have won 24 face-offs in a game since the NHL started officially tracking the stat in 1999-00:
- Ryan Kesler on Feb. 22, 2011 vs MTL and Mark Messier on Jan. 19, 2000 vs DET.
- Jayson Megna ranks 12th in the NHL in shooting percentage (25.0%)
- Henrik Sedin ranks 20th in the NHL in shooting percentage
this season (23.3%).
- The Canucks penalty kill ranks 8th at 84.9%. The Canucks have killed off 21 of 24 opposing power plays over the past 10 games (87.5%).
- The Canucks rank 6th with 851 total faceoff wins and rank t-7th with 693 even-strength faceoff wins. Vancouver ranks 10th in faceoff win percentage at 51.0% and 7th in OZ faceoff win percentage at 53.6%; in 2015.16, the Canucks’ 45.4% faceoff win percentage ranked 30th.
- 7 of the Canucks’ 12 victories this season have come either in OT (4-1 in OT games) or the shootout (3-1 in SO games; Vancouver is t-2nd in the NHL with 3 shootout victories).
Panthers In Brief:
Florida have 28 points and are in 6th place in the Atlantic division, 4 points behind 3rd place Boston; 2 points ahead of Buffalo.
In their last game, Sidney Crosby had a goal and an assist, and the Pittsburgh Penguins scored three goals in the first eight minutes on their way to a 5-1 victory at BB&T Center. Pittsburgh matched its season high with its fourth consecutive victory.
Jaromir Jagr scored for the Panthers, who were playing their first game at BB&T Center since Tom Rowe replaced Gerard Gallant as coach. Roberto Luongo made 25 saves.
The Panthers have lost five of six games (1-2-3) since Rowe took over.
Panthers have the 13th best goaltending in the NHL, with Roberto Luongo, and James Reimer, with a 2.54 GAA, and .911 SV%.
Luongo is 9-8-2, with a 2.25 GAA, and a .923 SV%. Reimer is 3-4-2, with a 3.02 GAA, and a .894 SV%.
Florida leading scorers:
- Jonathan Marchessault (10-9=19 pts)
- Aleksander Barkov (5-13=18 pts)
- Jaromir Jagr (6-8=14 pts)
- Vincent Trocheck (6-8=14 pts)
Jonathan Huberdeau, 28 games
Alex Petrovic, 12 games
Jonathan Marchessault, 3 games
Total Man Games Lost: 72
- ALEKSANDER BARKOV (2-1=3 pts / 3 Games)
Florida special teams are:
- 13 for 96: 13.5 percent on the power play overall (t-29th in the NHL)
- 13 for 87: 85.0 percent on the penalty kill overall (6th in the NHL)
Panthers have surrendered 73 goals (t-14h in NHL), and have scored 64 goals (25th in NHL).
- Florida’s 24 goals scored in the first period this season ranks tied for sixth in the NHL. Jonathan Marchessault leads FLA with five first period goals.
- The Cats also rank tied for third in the NHL for least goals allowed in the second period (21).
- The Panthers rank tied for eighth in the NHL for shots per game (30.8).
- Through 28 games this season, Florida’s defensemen have combined for 15 goals. In 2015-16, the Panthers blueline combined for 27 goals through 82 games.
- Tonight marks the 30th meeting between the two teams with Florida posting a 9-10-6-4 all-time record and a 6-5-1-2 home record
against the Canucks.
- Florida has gone into overtime in six of its last 10 games. In OT this season, the Panthers own a 5-2 record, while owning a 2-2 record in the shootout.
- Florida along with CHI and LAK are the only teams to have recorded five OT wins this season.
- Aleksander Barkov leads Florida with two overtime goals, while Vincent Trocheck has recorded three OT points (1-2-3). Barkov and Trocheck have both scored twice (2/4) in the shootout and have each notched a game-deciding goal. Jaromir Jagr currently owns the NHL record with 19
career OT goals.
- Over their last six games, the Panthers have gone 22/23 (95.1%) on the penalty kill.
- Florida enters tonight with a 85 PK% (74/87) on the season (68/80) and a 84.4 home PK% (27/32).
- The Panthers PK ranks seventh in the NHL. Colton Sceviour leads the Panthers with two shorthanded goals this season and shots while shorthanded (9). Mark Pysyk leads the Cats in total shorthanded Time on ice (66:15).
VS TAMPA BAY NOTES:
- Alex Biega’s first career assist occurred on Dec. 20/15 at FLA
- Henrik Sedin has 17 points (2-15-17) in 16 career games versus Florida
- Daniel Sedin has 12 points (7-5-12) in 16 career games versus Florida
- Brandon Sutter’s first career NHL point/game occurred on Oct. 10/08 vs FLA
- Brandon Sutter has 3 three assists (0-3-3) in 30 career game versus Florida
- Loui Eriksson has 9 points (1-8-9) in 18 career games versus the Panthers
- Erik Gudbranson appeared in 309 career games over five seasons with the Panthers registering 43 points (2-7-9) and 346 penalty minutes. Drafted 3rd overall by Florida in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Gudbranson ranks 5th all-time among Panthers d-men in penalty minutes
- Jacob Markstrom appeared in 43 games over four seasons with the Panthers posting a record of 11-25-5 along with a .898 save
percentage and 3.20 GAA. Drafted 31st overall by Florida in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Markstrom made his NHL debut on Jan. 23/11 at NJ becoming the youngest goaltender to start for the Panthers.
Regular Season Game 28, Road Game 14
Van: 12-13-2 (Road: 4-8-1)
Flo: 12-12-4 (Home: 7-5-0)
Team SF SA PP PK PIM HITS GF GA
Van 788 810 11-78 11-73 287 530 62 78
Flo 862 823 13-96 13-87 223 616 64 73
Team CF CA SCF SCA CF60% CA60% CF%
Van 1390(1103) 1418(1147) 743(575) 812(634) 51.9 53.9 49.0
Flo 1632(1211) 1399(1099) 757(553) 711(536) 54.7 49.7 52.4
Note: 5v5 stats in parenthesis for CF & CA, SCF & SCA ,
CF60%, CA60% & CF% are 5v5
SCF=scoring chances for; SCA=scoring chances against.
Potential Canucks Lineup: