By Andrew Chernoff
Jan 22, 2017
Game Time: 4:30 PM PST
Location: United Center
Radio: TSN 1040
Vancouver (22-19-6=48 pts) begin a three game road trip tonight against the Chicago Blackhawks (29-14-5=63 pts) at United Center.
The Canucks play the Blackhawks in their second of three meetings this season; the Canucks wrap up the season series with another visit to Chicago on Mar. 21.
Vancouver is 4-5-1 in their last 10 games against Chicago (1-3-1 in their last 5 games).
Canucks are 10-3-4 since Dec 16, tied for 3rd best record in the NHL over that span, with the best faceoff winning percentage at 54.5 percent, and 4th best GAA at 2.12.
Vancouver continues the road trip at Colorado (Jan. 25) and at Arizona (Jan. 26).
Canucks, are 1-2-2 in their last 5 road games, and 5-13-3 overall.
Vancouver are 6-1-3 in their last 10 games, while Chicago is 6-4-0. Chicago is 17-5-4 at home this season, and 6-3-1 in their last 10 at United Center.
Canucks last game, Vancouver defeated the Florida Panthers at Rogers Arena 2-1 on Friday night. Henrik Sedin tied the game with a goal at 5:50 of the second, recording his 1,000th point with the Canucks. Daniel Sedin and Alex Edler drew assists on the goal. Luca Sbisa scored from the slot 3:07 into the third to record his first game-winner of the season, while Ryan Miller made 34 saves to move into 20th all-time in wins, with 354 (4th among active goalies).
Henrik Sedin, Sbisa Extend Point Streaks Against Florida
Henrik Sedin, extend his points streak against the Panthers to 4 games (2-2=4 pts / 4 games), and Luca Sbisa extended his to 2 games (1-1=2 pts / 2 games).
Ryan Miller Gets Start Against Blackhawks, Undefeated In Last 9 Starts
Ryan Miller is a hot goalie, cooling off the opposition for the Canucks since Dec 28th, undefeated in his last 9 game starts with a 7-0-2 record, 1.52 GAA, .951 Sv%, and 2 shutouts in that span.
His save percentage is tops in the NHL, goals against average is 2nd best, and is tied for 2nd most shutouts, since December 28th.
The Canucks record since Dec 28th is 8-1-3, 3rd best in the NHL, with a NHL best 1.75 GAA, and 3rd best FOW% at 53.2 percent.
Vancouver are in 5th place in the Pacific division, with 50 points, a point behind 4th place Calgary, 10 points behind Edmonton and San Jose; 2 points ahead of 6th place Los Angeles; and 16 points ahead of 7th, and last place, Arizona.
The St Louis Blues and Calgary presently occupy the two wild card playoff positions, with Vancouver a single point behind each.
Canucks In Brief:
Overall Record By Five Game Segment:
Game 1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25 26-30 31-35 36-40
Record 4-0-1 0-5-0 1-4-0 3-1-1 3-2-0 1-4-0 2-2-1 5-0-0
GF Ave 2.6 0.8 2.2 3.4 2.2 3.00 2.60 2.60
GA Ave 2.0 3.4 3.4 3.6 2.6 3.80 3.00 1.40
PP% 13.0 0.0 7.7 23.1 23.1 11.8 13.3 16.7
PK% 86.7 77.8 95.0 75.0 91.7 71.4 64.7 84.6
Game 41-45 46-50
Record 1-1-3 2-0-0
GF Ave 2.20 1.50
GA Ave 2.60 0.50
PP% 10.0 00.0
PK% 75.0 75.0
Vancouver’s goaltender tandem of Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom are 20th in the NHL, with a 2.70 GAA and a .911 SV%:
- Jacob Markstrom is 8-9-3, with a 2.59 GAA (18th), and a .912 Sv% (t-20th)* * At least 22 GP
- Ryan Miller is 14-10-3, with a 2.48 GAA (17th), and a .919 Sv% (17th)*
- Bo Horvat (13-17=30 pts)
- Henrik Sedin (11-19=30 pts)
- Daniel Sedin (11-15=26 pts)
- Sven Baertschi (11-13=24)
- Brandon Sutter (12-11=23 pts)
- Loui Eriksson (10-11=19 pts)
- Derek Dorsett; 29 games missed
- Philip Larsen; 21 games missed
- Erik Gudbranson; 17 games missed
- Jannik Hansen; 13 games missed
- Ben Hutton; 6 games missed
- Anton Rodin; 2 games missed
Total Man Games Lost: 210
- HENRIK SEDIN (2-2=4 pts / 4 Games)
- LUCA SBISA (1-1=2 pts / 2 Games)
Vancouver Special Teams:
- 19 for 144: 13.2 percent on the power play overall (29th in the NHL)
- 26 for 128: 79.7 percent on the penalty kill overall (23rd in NHL)
Canucks have allowed 129 goals against (19th in NHL), and have scored 110 goals for (25th in NHL).
Canucks Notables: (Through Jan. 20)
- Road Record By Five Game Segment:
- Game 1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25
Record 0-4-1 2-3-0 2-3-0 1-3-1 0-0-1
GF Ave 1.6 2.6 2.2 2.2 4.00
GA Ave 3.4 2.6 2.6 3.8 4.00
PP% 10.5 9.1 16.7 00.0 12.5
PK% 82.3 92.8 86.7 73.3 50.0
- Game 1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25
- Through 44 games, Sven Baertschi has registered 11 goals, 13 assists and 24 points. He has reached the 11 goal mark 15 games faster than last season (11th goal in the 55th game) and 24 points 24 games quicker than in the 2015.16 season (24th point in the 64th game).
- Through 47 games, Markus Granlund has already set career-highs in goals (11) and points (19). He is 2 assists from tying his career-high for assists in a single season set during the 2014.15 season.
- Nikita Tryamkin ranks t-6th among NHL rookies in hits per game with 2.4 (min. 10 games played) and 5th in total rookie hits (90).
- Troy Stecher ranks 6th in rookie TOI/game with 20:43, 11th in rookie shots on goal with 86 and t-5th in rookie defencemen assists with 12.
- Brandon Sutter ranks 12th in the NHL in faceoff wins with 470 while Bo Horvat ranks 17th with 429.
- Alex Edler leads the team and ranks 19th in the NHL in ice time with 24:08 TOI/GP. He has led the team in ice time on 27 seperate occasions including 15 games where he led all skaters in this category.
- Among active goaltenders, Ryan Miller ranks 4th in wins with 354. This also ranks him 20th all-time in wins in NHL history and 3rd all-time among American-born goaltenders. Miller is also in a tie for 41st for most shutouts in League history (38). He ranks t-4th among American born goaltenders and t-7th among active goaltenders in this category as well.
- The Canucks rank 6th for the best record in the last 10 games played (6-1-3). They have earned at least a point in 11 of the past 12 games.
- The Canucks rank 3rd with 1,490 total faceoff wins and t-3rd with 1,209 even-strength faceoff wins. Vancouver ranks 5th in faceoff win percentage at 52.2% and 4th in OZ faceoff win percentage at 53.9%; in 2015.16, the Canucks’ 45.4% faceoff win percentage ranked 30th.
- 9 of the Canucks 22 victories this season have come either in OT (5-3 in OT games) or the shootout (4-2 in SO games).
- The Canucks have opened the scoring 17 times this season and are 10-4-3 when scoring first. They are 12-15-3 when the opposition scores first.
- The Canucks have earned at least one point in 15 of their last 18 home games (11-3-3). The Canucks have not lost at home in regulation since Dec. 22/16 vs WPG (have gone 7-0-1 since that date at Rogers Arena).
- The Canucks have earned 37 points (17-6-3) at home which ranks them t-3rd in the NHL and 2nd in the Western Conference (behind Chicago).
- Vancouver is t-2nd in the League with 15 wins in 1 goal games.
- The Canucks are t-3rd with 7 wins when trailing after the first period. They are t-4th with 5 wins when trailing after the second period.
VS BLACKHAWKS NOTES
- Daniel Sedin leads Canucks skaters with 54 points (22-32-54) in 56 career games versus CHI.
- Daniel Sedin appeared in his 1000th NHL game (Nov. 23/14) and collected his 900th career point (Nov. 21/15) vs CHI
- Henrik Sedin has 53 points (14-39-53) in 54 career games versus CHI.
- Alex Burrows’ career-high for assists in a game (3) occurred on Jan. 23/10 vs CHI; his last powerplay goal occurred on Nov. 21/15 vs CHI
- Alex Edler’s career-high for points in a game (4) occurred on Feb. 7/09 vs CHI. He has 17 points (3-14-17) in 31 career games versus Chicago.
- Loui Eriksson (Nov. 29/06) and Bo Horvat (Nov. 23/14) recorded their first career assists vs CHI.
- Loui Eriksson has 21 points (11-10-21) in 32 career games versus Chicago.
- Bo Horvat has 7 points (2-5-7) in 7 career games versus the Blackhawks.
- Ryan Miller has a 4-5-0 record in 9 career games vs CHI, posting a .920 save percentage and 2.53 GAA.
- Jacob Markstrom has a 0-0-3 record in 3 games played vs CHI, posting a .910 save percentage and 2.63 GAA.
Blackhawks In Brief:
Chicago in their last game, defeated the Boston Bruins on Friday night at TD Garden, 1-0.
Marian Hossa netted his 17th goal of the season and was his fifth game-winning goal this season. Vinnie Hinostroza collected an assist on Hossa’s goal and now has points (2G, 1A) in back-to-back contests and 13 total points
(6G, 7A) this season. Tanner Kero recorded an assist as well, and all six of Kero’s points (3G, 3A) this season have come over his last six contests.
Scott Darling stopped all 30 shots to earn his second shutout of the season and the team’s fourth.
Blackhawks have 63 points and are in 2nd place in the Central division, 2 points behind 1st place Minnesota; 12 points ahead of 3rd place St. Louis and Nashville, both with 51 points.
Chicago has the 6th best goaltending in the NHL, with Corey Crawford, and Scott Darling, with a 2.45 GAA, and .921 SV%.
Crawford is 17-10-3, with a 2.54 GAA, and a .919 SV%. Darling is 12-4-2, with a 2.21 GAA, and a .928 SV%.
Chicago leading scorers:
- Patrick Kane (14-33=47 pts)
- Artemi Panarin (17-26=43 pts)
- Artem Anisimov (18-15=33 pts)
- Duncan Keith (2-29=31 pts)
- Marian Hossa (17-12=29 pts)
- Marcus Kruger
Total Man Games Lost: 120
- TANNER KERO (2-2=4 pts / 2 Games)
- MARIAN HOSSA (1-3=4 pts / 2 Games)
- VINNIE HINOSTROZA (2-1=3 pts / 2 Games)
Blackhawks special teams are:
- 26 for 144: 18.1 percent on the power play overall (16th in the NHL); and 30 for 123: 75.6 percent on the penalty kill overall (28th in the NHL).
Blackhawks have surrendered 119 goals (8th best in NHL), and have scored 131 goals (11th in NHL).
- 400 AND COUNTING: Tonight marks the 400th consecutive Blackhawks game sold out at the United Center (338 regular season and 62 postseason) … The sellout streak began on March 30, 2008 and since then the Blackhawks have compiled a 263-96-40 record on home ice during the regular season and postseason … Chicago’s run of capacity crowds ranks third in the NHL among active streaks, behind Edmonton (448) and Pittsburgh (453) … The Colorado Avalanche set the longest stretch in NHL history from 1995-2006 by selling out 487 consecutive games.
- MARI-WIN HOSSA: Late in the third period on Friday, Marian Hossa notched the game’s only goal to give the Blackhawks the victory… It marked his 17th goal of the season and 516th of his career … Friday’s tally was his fifth game-winning goal of the season and his 83 career game-winning strikes now rank 24th in NHL history … Of Hossa’s 17 tallies this season, 10 have come in the third period or later … The Blackhawks carry a 14-0-1 record this season when Hossa lights the lamp.
- LAST LINE OF DEFENSE: Niklas Hjalmarsson paces the club and ranks fourth in the NHL with 114 blocked shots this season … His
career high came during the 2010-11 campaign when he logged 166 blocks, finishing 13th in the league … He is third in franchise history with 1,114 career blocks, trailing only teammates Duncan Keith (1331) and Brent Seabrook (1508) … On Jan. 8, the Sweden native set a new career high with his fifth goal of the year
- MEANINGFUL MILESTONES: Marian Hossa dished out three assists on Tuesday to become the 32nd player in NHL history to record 500 goals and 600 assists … Hossa is currently sixth among active players in assists (602) and fourth in points (1117) … Brian Campbell is one point shy of his 500th career … He currently ranks third among active league blueliners with 499 career points … With one more victory, Corey Crawford will become the fourth netminder in franchise history with 200 career wins (Tony Esposito, 418; Glenn Hall, 275; Ed Belfour, 201)
Regular Season Game 48, Road Game 22
Vancouver: 22-19-6 (Road: 5-13-3)
Chicago: 29-14-5 (Home: 17-5-4)
Team SF SA PP PK PIM HITS GF GA
Van 1299 1443 19-144 26-128 406 865 110 129
Chic 1400 1492 26-144 30-123 296 728 131 119
Team CF CA SCF SCA CF60% CA60% CF%
Van 2369(1863) 2519(1985) 1258(956) 1404(1060) 49.9 53.2 48.4
Chic 2668(2146) 2644(2117) 1284(1017) 1315(1041) 54.5 53.7 50.3
Note: 5v5 stats in parenthesis for CF & CA, SCF & SCA , CF60%, CA60% & CF% are 5v5
SCF=scoring chances for; SCA=scoring chances against.
Potential Canucks Lineup:
Scratched: #24 Reid Boucher, #63 Philip Larsen, #67 Jordan Subban
They Said It…
— Vancouver Canucks (@Canucks) January 22, 2017
Luca Sbisa discusses all the one-goal games the team has played, defencemen joining the rush and problems the Blackhawks present. pic.twitter.com/evVYWkTf1Y
— Vancouver Canucks (@Canucks) January 22, 2017